The Shaftmasters 3.5” aluminum driveshaft for my automatic 2011 Mustang GT California Special is a custom designed and well built replacement for the two piece stock driveshaft as seen below.
The Shaftmasters driveshaft reduces rotating weight by about 20lbs. Theory says 1# of rotating mass = 4# of unsprung mass (dead weight) so losing these 20lbs is similar to dropping 80lbs and it feels every bit like it! This allows the motor to accelerate faster and be more responsive. Also, knowing that this driveshaft is stronger than stock gives you confidence you need when pushing the limits in the quarter mile...trust me.
The driveshaft eliminated the clunking noises I was experiencing with the stock driveshaft. The Shaftmasters driveshaft is perfectly balanced. I have been up to 120 mph at the track with no vibrations experienced.
The installation was extremely easy due to this being “the only TRUE Direct Bolt-In Mustang Replacement Driveshaft” as per their website. They aren’t kidding either! Shaftmasters’ instructions were easy to follow and detailed even though this was a straight forward installation. It was as simple as unbolting the stock one and pulling it out from the driveshaft loop that was previously installed and then bolting up the new one. No adapter plates or anything else that could cause vibration. No yokes needing to be changed or trying to line up splines. The fit was perfect with no adjustments needed...even to pinion angle.
Here are some stats for this particular driveshaft from Shaftmaster’s website (found at http://shaftmasters.com/3aldrfomu20v5.html):
- Independently torque tested to over 3900 ft-lb. (click here for test report)
- Double balanced in 2 different mounting positions (to ensure vibration free operation)
- Utilizes our "proprietary" (Direct Bolt-In rear mounting flange) (NO ADAPTER PLATE)
- Made from all new components
- Alcoa 6061-T6 aluminum driveline tubing
- No need to adjust pinion angle from Factory OEM setting
- Shaft Weighs 20 lbs.
- 1330 series Neapco, High performance rear universal joint
- 1350 series Spicer, High performance front universal joint
- 3.5” X .125” Alcoa 6061-T6 aluminum driveline tubing
I really can’t say enough about their customer service as well. Robert and David both have been very responsive to my emails and phone calls whenever I had questions leading up to receiving it and even after the install. Thank you both!
By email: email@example.com
By standard mail:
1668 John A. Papalas Dr.
Lincoln Park, MI 48146
(313) 383-6347 or Toll Free (866) 912-2004
Monday-Friday: 7am to 5pm - Saturday: 7am to Noon
Here is a pic of the final install: